Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 January 2020

My 10mm Marlburian madness. Part 1

 A while ago I started a 28mm Marlburian project. It was intended to be a slow burner, gradually building over time to become my magnum opus. However, I soon realised just how expensive the project was going to be and how much space a game would take up. I had already painted up a few infantry brigades but needed a lot more and my calculations for the cost of buying in the cavalry alone was actually quite frightening! I needed to stop and seriously consider my options.

The bottom line was this; I simply could not warrant the costs of this large project. A secondary point but still an important one was games I wanted to play. I wanted the big multiplayer battles my good friend, Simon, ran with his 25mm Napoleonics. I also knew that I didn't want games that didn't allow the players any degree of strategic manoeuvre. We have all seen them, two opposing lines of troops that are forced into every inch of space available on the table and then just driven headlong into each other. I want commanders to have to think about the scenarios and how best to use the available terrain. A commander should be able to send formations to various points on the table that would be several moves away from his lines. Do you know what I mean? So, I needed to rethink.

Long story short, I eventually concluded that 10mm figures would give me everything I needed. I sold off my painted 28mm Marlburian collection on Ebay and used the money to buy in 10mm figures from Pendraken. I spent every penny I received and was given a rather healthy discount too. I really don't want to tell you how much I spent....I try not to think about it. Lets just say I now have enough 10mm figures to field twenty five infantry battalions per side, a dozen or so cavalry units, plenty of artillery with the limbers and more than enough generals....and some doggies.


A French Command base

Actually, when I put it like that, it doesn't seem so bad does it? This is the point where I tell you that I had another brain glitch and decided that my infantry battalions would each have forty five figures, the cavalry about twenty four figures. I know. That equates to quite a pile of lead, the castings alone fill two of the four litre Really-useful-boxes. 


Three completed battalions and some odds and ends. Flags have now been added

10mm figures, especially of the Marlburian period, are quite simple to paint despite the small size. The uniforms are pretty simple too so there really shouldn't be an issue painting them. However, I have a new found respect for the term, 'Monotony'. The French uniforms especially are so similar between battalion that one could go quite mad; there is only so much white-grey with red cuffs you can paint before your nose bleeds. Still, you cant have everything, can you?


Not the best of pictures, sorry. Tricky little buggers, 10mm.

So, to kick start the project and force me to get stuff done, I have said that I will run a game for my club with these figures in November this year. Boy, do I have a lot to be getting on with! I have only completed a few units to this point but its a start. I will keep you all posted as to my progress, another form of self encouragement. Your support will be very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment